Blog Challenge Day 8: 10 Favorite Books and What They Say About Me (Part One)


I once heard you can tell a lot about a person by the books they keep on their shelves. Ironically, I think I read this in a mystery book, one that I cannot remember. Since then, I have become more aware of the books I display in my room. I, like many book lovers, have a bad habit of roaming bookstores on Saturdays and buying books for the simple reason that they were on sale. Therefore, I own at least a dozen books that I have not even cracked the spine on.

The upside of this is that I always have a large selection when I feel the need to read. The downside is that I now own two copies of Top Dog by Maria Goodavage.

This selection is by no means my top 10 list. It just happens to be the first ten I think of. It would probably be impossible for me to pick my top 10. For instance, as a child I would have told you my favorite book series is Seekers, an ongoing story about three bears who journey to accomplish various internal tasks. For those of you from my generation, this was the alternative to the widely popular series, Warriors which followed cat clan wars. I think all the Warriors fans may be in jail now. The Seekers readers now run blogs that their moms like.

I now hear that there is another series called Survivors which features dogs instead of cats or bears. Fate has it that I was too old to read this when it hit the stores. I honestly consider it to be a blessing. If I was that obsessed with a series about bears, I cannot even imagine how I would have handled one about dogs.

My point is, different versions of me have different preferences. A part of me still wants to know if Kallik the polar bear and Toklo the grizzly worked out their conflict. There is no doubt that the stories I read as a child shaped my mind into what it is today and the literature I study continues to do the same. We are all just mirror images of the entertainment we consume.

With that in mind, judge these 10 books lightly.

NOTE: The links under the photos take you to the respective Amazon page.

1) Inside of a Dog- Alexandra Horowitz

Inside of a Dog- Alexandra Horowitz

I must note, the first book I ever feel in love with was the AKC Dog Breed Handbook. I received it as a Christmas gift before I knew how to read. Initially, I would flip through it to look at the pictures. I was enthralled with learning each breed. I firmly believe I learned to read using this 500 page textbook of sorts. As a result, I can name almost every breed on sight and give you useless facts regarding them. I still have this book and consider it my favorite gift. It lays in my college apartment's closet, binding cracked and pages loose.

Inside of a Dog is an essential for every dog-lover's shelf. I have owned this book since high school and consult it often. The pages crinkle with every turn. The author has an relaxing way of examining dog psychology, in a way that even I, a chemistry dropout, can understand. What I like most about this book is that the sections are small and often just parts of a page. As a result, it is almost as easy to pick up and flip through as it is to check your Facebook feed.

Most importantly, I am more connected to my favorite four-legged friends. Although it is almost impossible to know what our dogs are thinking, to be able to understand their reasoning helps further in our patience and love. You will find yourself analyzing your dog's every move. Your dog probably knows more about you than you do yourself. Try to know them as deeply. 

What this says about me: Obviously, I love dogs. In addition, I have a constant need to discover the truth. I know that the impact dogs have had on me is not coincidental. Dogs live their every moment with intention. 


2) The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald 


The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald

You can stop rolling your eyes now. All I have to say is that it is popular for a reason.

Something about Fitzgerald always keeps me coming back. Most likely, it is the heavy-handed symbolism that makes me feel intelligent. Especially in Gatsby, the atmosphere engulfs you and you are revived in the American dream. In addition, an old-fashioned dramatic death scene never hurts.

I could talk for days about the underlying themes of this masterpiece, but there are far more qualified people for that purpose. I'd rather you ponder on it yourself. Also, I never received my essay back. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Crase. A 98%? Really? That's the best you could do?) 

What it says about me: If you have an affair, you die.


3) Ethan Frome- Edith Wharton 


Ethan Frome- Edith Wharton

Edith Wharton is a controversial author. I have heard many people insult her writings, but I have heard many others feel just as strongly in the opposite. Honestly, I have not done much research on the matter, but I have read two of her works and liked them both. Perhaps the literary devices were a bit heavy handed, but there is beauty in bluntness.

Ethan Frome is a short story I read about once a year, normally on a snowy winter night. It is anything but relaxing like the calm snowfalls described. For those of you who have not read it, essentially a man (surprise, it's Ethan Frome!) begins giving rides to our narrator through the thick snow. Frome is eerily quiet but the narrator assumes his disposition based off of his large, gruff appearance. Frome had been deformed by an earlier "accident," one we learn of throughout the story. 

Spoilers! At the end, Frome and his lover, his wife's nurse, attempt to kill themselves by riding a sled into a tree. His lover dies but he only emerges from the accident with severe physical ailments and alterations to his appearance. He presumably lives out the remainder of his life with his less than caring wife who doubles as his cousin.

What this says about me: If you have an affair, you die.


4) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
(Fun fact: I own a t-shirt with this graphic on it.)

I am going to try to keep this short. To those of you who know me personally, this choice comes at no surprise. The reason I have fallen so incredibly in love with the Sherlock Holmes mysteries is for the characters themselves. The Watson/Holmes dynamic is one that has yet to be beat.

I started my obsession with these two after watching the BBC series featuring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. I had always known of the stories, but seeing them in this way fascinated me. After series four, I consider myself a more fair-weather fan. Rumor has it, the show will not be appearing in its fifth season. However, the first two will always remain on the top of my favorite shows.

If you were a fan of the BBC series, I highly recommend The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes starring Jeremy Brett. Brett was perhaps the best Sherlock Holmes to have ever attempted the challenging role. He studied the stories religiously and even created a manual he called the "Baker Street File" and had on set with him at all times. Unfortunately, Brett suffered major health complications but was so devoted to the role, he often had oxygen and medical assistance on set. He passed away shortly after the series.

My reasoning for including my favorite adaptions is not because I need an excuse to ramble on about my heroes. I'm explaining it because it proves how instrumental these stories have been in the world of literature and film. Arguably, they invented the noir genre. Eighty-eight years after Doyle's death and even longer after his admitted hatred for the character, we continue to study Sherlock Holmes as if he was never fictional. In addition, to get the deepest enjoyment out of the adaptions, it helps to know the originals.

If you follow the link, it takes you to an edition I own and hold dear to me. It encompasses not only Adventures, but other popular collections. With its thin pages and gold accents, I often refer to it as "the scripture." 

What this says about me: Holmes loves to scold Watson for simply not observing his world. I have taken this advice to heart and understand that there is often more to the story than meets the eye.

5) Sergeant Rex- Mike Dowling



Sergeant Rex- Mike Dowling

This is a random choice for this list. I don't know if any of you have experienced a "reading rut," but I when I outgrew children's chapter books I had trouble getting lost in narration. For years, I was reading without gumption. Finally, I found my muse in nonfiction.

In my sophomore/junior year summer of high school, I spent a couple of hours escaping the heat inside of Books-A-Million. In the pets section (one of my guilty pleasures), I picked up a book in which proudly displayed a picture perfect German shepherd, something I cannot refuse. The red clearance sticker on the back made my decision.

 Like most, I have always been on the search for where I belong in the world. Somehow, I always end up longing to be beside a dog. Mike Dowling was relatable; he was a recent college football player who had dropped out from boredom. On a whim, he joined the Marines. Through rigorous training, he earned the right to be a dog handler.

Insert Rex, who changed Dowling's life forever. I will not go any further. I will simply say that the stories these two share are as thrilling as they are inspiring. I finished it in one day, had some email correspondence with Mike Dowling and continue to reread this book when I can.

This past summer, Megan Levy was shown in theaters. The beloved Rex she fights so hard to save from euthanasia is the same military working dog described in Sergeant Rex. However, the two stories only share Rex as the common factor. As corny as this movie is, I highly recommend it.


Part two is coming much, much later. Writing these took much longer than previously expected. I look forward to your book recommendations and seeing if you found this challenge as difficult as I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge and My Challenge to You!

Day 5 of 31 Day Blog Challenge: Separating Guilt from Pleasure

Day 3 of the 31 Day Blog Challenge