Day 5 of 31 Day Blog Challenge: Separating Guilt from Pleasure



I'm only on day five, but I feel like I have been doing this challenge for weeks. Luckily, I have been planning ahead and I think we're heading out of the stereotypical prompt rut.

I have been procrastinating this post all day. I made some benches with my dad earlier and then took a nap while watching HGTV. I don't even think I made it to the final renovation reveal. I am glad it's spring break because I doubt even my professors could have motivated me to be productive today.

For a few years, I had this self rule that I was not allowed to do anything in my spare unless it was making me into a better person. For instance, I would tell myself if I had time to watch TV, I had time to take a run. Of course, I accidentally indulged every now and then or told myself that examining the show's plot would make me a better writer. Later, I would find myself rolling in self pity and punishing my gluttonous acts. I do admit that this obsessive behavior, as inhuman and miserable as I did become, did have its rewards. I often find myself wishing I could uncover the motivation I once had.

Therefore, I thought I would make this post about how to procrastinate less and achieve more. My opinion is, just Google it. Get on Pinterest, type in "procrastinate" and you will be given thousands of articles to fill your precious time. The last thing you need is more scolding regarding your already busy day. Instead, I want to explain how to take the guilt out of guilty pleasures. 

Since going to college, I have found myself having far too many Netflix marathons. It began with One Tree Hill (thanks to my roommates) and somehow ended up at The Office. During the day, I would sit in the campus library and stare at my textbooks, wishing to be curled up with my dog, watching TV.

The minute I see the credits roll, literal panic strikes. Goldie takes herself upstairs, knowing I am not to be reasoned with. My guilt is so enormous that it can and sometimes does last all week. Normally, it is so overwhelming that I do not get anything useful accomplished and more guilt piles on. You can see how this might be a counterproductive cycle.

There's nothing wrong with watching one or twenty episodes of your favorite show. What is wrong is punishing yourself for it. You know the old saying, "You don't have a drinking problem unless drinking causes you a problem"? Put down the bourbon and pick up the remote.

Like many other college students, I keep a meticulous planner. It lists my readings for the week, class times and even what workouts I need to do at the gym. One particularly hectic day, as a joke I wrote, "7:00-8:00PM Criminal Minds." At that time, I dropped everything. I had a crucial appointment. I needed to watch TV's most popular crime fighters stop the murderer.

This time, when the crime had been resolved, I simply pulled out my planner and hot pink highlighter and marked off that accomplishment.

I did not have any pictures for today's post so I scrolled through my Twitter until I found this retweet.
 You're welcome. 

Quite honestly, I think one of the most important life lessons I have uncovered during college is how to prioritize yourself. Surprisingly, I have not used the unit circle or any calculus yet. I will get back to you when I do. Dr. Efremov, if you're reading this, you lied to me.

Now, I schedule almost everything from exams to laundry. The most exciting part is crossing it off. If I don't feel like baking cookies or scrolling through Instagram, that's okay. I have learned to grow comfortable with having remainders on my to-do list.

Some (the nagging part of my brain) may argue this as lazy. I try to see it as necessary.

More often than not, you're not going to cross off everything you set out to do. What's important is prioritization. Quality over quantity applies to your achievements as well.

Comments

  1. Definitely needed to read this. Sometimes the punishment aspect makes moving forward seem hopeless, causing more indulgences and more punishments. Proud of you for the lessons you're learning (and sharing) along the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge and My Challenge to You!

Day 4 of the 31 Day Blog Challenge and a New Challenge for You!