Day 6 of 31 Day Blog Challenge: Looking Beyond The Top 3


Below is my actual reaction to reading today's prompt.

Credit to Giphy

The following is the Google search I entered after attempting to write today's post.



I wouldn't say I don't have strong personality traits. It just is not something I have ever sat around thinking about.

When deciding your personality traits, it's important to consider which version of you is being analyzed. For instance, I'm constantly joking and annoying my parents, but to my colleagues I am professional and dedicated. To those of you reading who know me as one way or another, I'm sure you find one of these statements to be humorous.

What I am going to attempt not to do is pick my favorite version of me. Arguably, I would prefer to ride carts through Walmart than to devote myself to hours of accounting homework. Perhaps this means I more resemble the former,  but wouldn't we all? I believe the trick to this prompt is finding the greatest common factors between all versions.


1) Non-cliquey? 

I'm having difficulties putting this into words. I did not want to say "nonjudgmental" as that seems too much like self-praise and is untrue. To achieve complete acceptance is a talent one should never stop striving for but very few accomplish. That being said, my friends are widespread over various "cliques" and I would not have it any other way. I think it began in high school by spending my Thursday nights performing in a school play, my Friday nights marching on the football field and my Saturdays in a huddle on the rugby pitch.

Being a double major, I stand with one foot in two passions. Along with learning across colleges, I meet a variety of people from professors to students. When meeting new people, it is important to stand back and recognize that their mind is just as complex as your own. I am working to look beyond the shallow waters of associating a person merely with their major/career. I hope people give me the same opportunity.

My friendslist includes this goat named Bucky.
We have only met once but we are close. 


2) Open-minded

In comparison to others, I find I have a strange ability to take interest in almost anything. I never discover myself to be bored or restless. For instance, I attended an auction on Saturday night with my parents. It started at 6:00 and we did not leave until well past 11:00. I posted some pictures on my Snapchat and got a lot of confused replies. "Why in the world were you at an auction?" Auctions are not typical hangouts for 20-years-olds on Saturday nights. Quite honestly, I did not have a solid answer, but enjoyed myself tremendously.

When I do not want to attend something like class or a dreaded social event, I try to find ways to make it appealing. If your goal is to expand your mind, no experience can be detrimental. Every time I sit down to compose a blog post, a different author is typing than the one prior. Everything you do changes you, as you will not be the same person tomorrow as you are today.

I would like to thank past Maddy for pinning this a while back. 

3) Strong-willed

I am a firm, drawn-out decision maker. Once I am committed, nothing can convince me otherwise. My mother often expresses her frustrations by comparing me to my father. He goes through cycles of hobbies, most recently fly fishing. A "normal" person would just buy a pole and maybe a couple of high quality flies. My dad bought multiple poles and spends hours a day tying his own flies in his self-built "fly tying station." This is not including his brand new waders in which he still managed to soak his clothing while wearing. Those rivers are apparently deeper than they look.

Although I am not this extreme (mainly because I do not have my own money to invest on impulsive phases of my life), I do not, "half-ass" anything as my parents would say. Whether this is a favorable or detrimental quality, I have yet to discover.

I encourage you to attempt this exercise with yourself. Three does not sound like a high demand, but is much harder when you have to present them in a way that does not appear as pretentious. I tried to think of things others would say about me, but are owned by me and not named upon me by another's mind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5 of 31 Day Blog Challenge: Separating Guilt from Pleasure

Day 4 of the 31 Day Blog Challenge and a New Challenge for You!

Day 2 of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge and My Challenge to You!