Blog Challenge Day 7


Welcome back everybody! I know you have been dying for the revival of the 31 Day Challenge. In case you did not read the last post, I explained how I will be moving from the old challenge to this new one I put together last week. Since I was already a week into the last one, I took the six prompts I had completed and wrote them into this challenge. Therefore, I will be starting on day 7.

Regardless of our futile attempts to be less materialistic, everyone has dreamed of a luxurious lifestyle but never having to work again. We sit on our outdated couches and watch "My Lottery Dream Home" and critique the choices of the people living our wildest fantasy.

Everyone's first instinct when they consider this mundane conversation starter is to reply that they would buy a better house. Do you not have a home now? Is it not filled with furniture and knickknacks? What I think to be the most rewarding part about lottery winnings is not what I can buy but what I can get rid of.

When you win the lottery, an enormous monetary burden is lifted from your shoulders. Often, lottery winners will say they are no more happier after they win than they were before they were doused with luck. It is easy to scoff at this notion and say you would be more responsible. It is not often that you are given the opportunity to prove this.

From the eyes of a inexperienced 20-year-old, my interpretation of lottery winners' lives can sound judgmental and inconsiderate. After all, you have spent your entire life "without," why not enjoy yourself?

So let's imagine, Wednesday night, I pull out my Powerball ticket and all of my numbers match. The winnings are not much; just a mere $40 million. After I pick myself up off the floor, here is what I would do. 

An amount like $40 million does not necessarily show me more money, it shows the insignificance of the items around me. If you had $40 million, would you cry about losing a $50 watch? Of course you wouldn't. If the time arose when you needed the watch, you would simply purchase a new one.

Therefore, the first action I would take is calling a moving truck. I would donate everything I own except the few items that harness sentimental value. It is important to remember you are not in love with the item, but with the memories it carries.

Imagine when you moved into your house. You loved it in its cleanliness and emptiness. In purchasing my lottery dream home, my ultimate goal would be to remain in that "honeymoon phase" of simplicity.
Minimalism is not about deprivation; minimalism is about aligning your short-term actions with your long-term values. -The Minimalists
 For anyone interested in the minimalistic lifestyle, I highly recommend the documentary "Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things." It is available on Netflix and for rent on most major streaming sites. Watch the trailer here.




I hope to elaborate more on how this documentary has changed my outlook on life, but I intend to achieve that in a less fantastical post. For now, let's dream.

My determination in life is to have a good amount of land for various animals while remaining close to my parents. I am sure they would not protest to following me to my dream home if I came to them with the winning Powerball ticket. In an ideal situation, we would have enough land to lead different lives in separate houses, but only be a few minutes from each other's call. In addition, I would build a nearby guest house for the extended stay of other loved ones. My temperamental Chihuahua would no longer have to "protect" her house from my sister's loving shepherds and perhaps I could convince her to visit more often.

Although land and multiple houses is a lot of upkeep, I would make sure to save enough money and invest enough to support hiring a weekly maintenance crew.

Just for fun, I did some searching for my dream property. I found this amazing listing in Texas. After this winter, I don't think I would mind being further south. Although its only 8 acres, it serves its purpose in this imaginary situation.


(x)
The best part is that I could comfortably offer the full asking price of $997,500. That leaves me plenty of money for extra housing for family and friends and whatever else my mind can construct. Don't forget that I would also be hiring stable hands and my own private riding instructor.

Everyone who knows me identifies me with my undying passion for dogs. My dream house would incorporate this and be a perfect location to rescue homeless pets and rehabilitate them for adoption. Additionally, part of the land would be dedicated to a doggie resort. There would be plenty of room to run safely and fire hydrants for peeing purposes. Of course, I would have a couple dogs of my own to keep me company and run alongside me on our endless property while Goldie relaxes in the comfort of our mansion.

(x)

Alternatively, if I felt inclined to leave behind the ranch lifestyle, I happened to run across this property in which features a few miles of beachfront and a secluded location and even has access to a private airport. Maybe Brazil would not be my ideal location, but I feel I could do some searching with my $40 million in hand.

(x)

After this, what more could a girl need? I would be more than satisfied relaxing on my ranch and taking the occasional vacation. The reward in my life would come from the saving of homeless animals and the development of myself.

Initially, I wondered what this prompt would teach me. Now, my mind is cleared of the constant desire for more. I encourage you all to leave me a summary of your lottery plans in the comments. Ask yourself: Do you want the physical object or the lifestyle it represents? Do not shame yourself for wanting the physical object, just make a plan to get it. Luck is not the only way to achieve your dreams. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge and My Challenge to You!

Day 5 of 31 Day Blog Challenge: Separating Guilt from Pleasure

Day 4 of the 31 Day Blog Challenge and a New Challenge for You!